Search This Blog

Saturday, March 2, 2024

Profile of a Doubter, Part 5: Thomas




Thomas is so well-known for his skeptical attitude that the phrase "doubting Thomas" was coined to describe those lacking in faith.


As you know, Thomas was one of Jesus' twelve disciples.  You do not hear from Thomas until the book of John, when the disciples find out Lazarus had died.

Then Thomas, who is called the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with Him.”  John 11:16

The amplified version of this verse (I usually quote from the King James Version) says...

"...Let us go too, that we may die [be killed] along with Him."

Did he literally mean he wanted to die?  Or was he was speaking out of grief?  He is already showing signs of a lack of faith when things are not going well.  Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead shortly after Thomas' statement.  In spite of all the miracles Thomas has witnessed Jesus perform, I am sure he also saw his share of tragedy.  It was improbable he knew Jesus was going to raise Lazarus, especially since Lazarus had been in his tomb for four days!  So, I suppose you cannot blame him for his defeatist attitude at this point, but it does show a pattern with him.  Perhaps he was always the pessimist of the group.

We next hear from Thomas in John 14 as Jesus is talking to his disciples about heaven.

 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.  In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know.”

Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.  John 14:1-5

Instead of Thomas simply saying, "Of course, Lord, I will follow you anywhere."  He again questions Jesus as if he doubts the words of His teacher.  It seems as if he was being argumentative because Jesus had just said, "And where I go you know, and the way you know.”   Thomas is like a child arguing with a parent or a childish adult who likes to argue with everyone.  Jesus reminds Thomas that He (Jesus) is the only way to Heaven, and if Thomas continues to follow Him, He will lead Thomas to Heaven.

Once again, you can understand Thomas' doubts since the concept of Heaven can be a bit confusing.  He was not aware of what Jesus was saying.  Perhaps he wasn't being sarcastic but was truly confused and wanted Jesus to clarify because his desire was to follow Jesus no matter where he went.  We cannot know for certain whether he was being obstinate or sincere.

Just as I can see Thomas' logical way of thinking in the above examples, I can also see how his train of thought must have been traveling after he witnessed Jesus' death on the cross.  His Lord had died a horrific death and had been placed in a tomb for three days.  Why should he believe Jesus had risen from the dead?  He had not been with the disciples the first time Jesus appeared to them in John, chapter 20. 

So he [Thomas] said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”  John 20:25

When Jesus appears to the disciples a second time, Thomas was now with the rest.  Jesus did not chasten Thomas and say to him, "How dare you do not believe I have risen from the dead!  What is wrong with you, son?"  Instead...

And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said,

“Peace to you!”  Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”

And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”
Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”  John 20:26-29

I love the gentle nature Jesus shows here.  He knows what Thomas had said previously and simply walks up to Thomas and quells Thomas' doubts.

I am sure you have all thought as I have, how could someone who spent three years at Jesus' side, listened to the profound teachings of Jesus, as well as witnessed a myriad of miracles still have so much doubt?  Did not Jesus tell them over and over that He would rise from the dead?  Of course, Jesus was usually cryptic and said things such as:

Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” John 2:19

The disciples did not fully understand what He meant. 

I have often been called a cynic, but I always answer with, "I am not a cynic, but a realist."  I say I am merely being logical!  Therefore, I can very much relate to Thomas (as well as to Sarah, Elijah, Zacharias, and Gideon).  I see the reality in front of me rather than the big picture.  I fail to understand the cryptic messages of Jesus and instead wallow in my confusion.  When things go against my will, how often have I doubted that Jesus will do as He has promised?  I sometimes am even so brazen as to doubt the love of my Heavenly Father.

The good news is, Thomas continued in his faith after Jesus ascended to Heaven.  He was even with the twelve in the beginning of Acts in the upper room.  We do not know for certain what happened to Thomas after this, but one theory is that in 52 AD, Thomas traveled to what is now known as India, converted many, and died there.  

Just as with the others I have written about in my doubter series, a lack of faith does not have to be the end of our walk with Christ.  Of course not!  Jesus knows our weaknesses and the limits of our human minds.  He knows it is sometimes hard for us to grasp what He is trying to teach us.  We may never understand it all this side of heaven. 

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.  Isaiah 55:9

And my favorite verse:

For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.  I Corinthians 13:12

Notice again what Jesus says to Thomas,

Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” 

I want to be one who has not seen and has still believed.  I want to see the big picture and not only focus on the nose on my face.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.  Hebrews 11:1

I want Hebrews 11:1 to permeate through me.  I do not want to be a doubting Julie.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment