Search This Blog

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Follow the Light of Jesus, Part 1




I originally wrote this in 2016 and was initially reluctant to write on this subject for well over a year.  I'm not sure why as I do not tend to shy away from tough subjects, and I try to be obedient to what I feel the Holy Spirit is encouraging me to write about.  I think I waited so long to write on this subject because I was not sure how to word it.  Again, I feel the need to repost this blog along with part two that will come in another few days or so.

We know that Jesus calls himself the "Light of the World."

Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”  John 8:12

We also know that, just from observing with our own eyes, that even the smallest flicker of light eliminates the darkness.  In other words, light and dark cannot coexist.  They cannot coexists 
 in the each other's space because one will destroy the other's exclusivity.  

Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world.  But if one walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.”  John 11:9-10

If Christians claim to walk with Christ, that means that are attempting to live a life in the light.  There are many, many areas that could be considered "dark," but today, I am going to focus on just one.  Christians should not compromise in the area of witchcraft. 

Yes, we all know that people who practice witchcraft will not inherit the kingdom of heaven...

He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”  Revelation 21:6-8

But I am not just referring to the art of practicing witchcraft.  I am also referring to the compromise of watching movies and reading books filled with magic.  Before anyone thinks I am being self-righteous, I want to make it very clear that I once compromised in this area in a big way.  That is why I am so compelled to warn against it now.  I will admit that I was a huge "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" & "Angel" fan as well as "The Lord of the Rings" being my favorite movie trilogy.  I loved fantasy fiction.  I owned the above mentioned TV shows/movies and watched them all the time.  Whenever I would watch episode after episode, I found myself in a bad mood all the time.  I knew it was because I was allowing demonic influences into my home, but I did not care because those shows were an addiction to me.  (This was before I was married.)  

The bible makes it very clear that we are not to call the dark things of this world light:

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Isaiah 5:20 

When we watch movies like Harry Potter, Star Wars, Frozen, The Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe, or even Cinderella, we open up our hearts and minds for all sorts of evil to walk through our door.

Don't take my word for it:

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.  Ephesians 6:12

This verse lets us know that angels and demons are very real, and the dark forces of this world will try to influence us.  We must keep up our guard by not allowing the dark into our homes.  These cute Disney movies may seem innocent, but anything involving a witch, wizard, incantations, magic wands, potions, and even certain hand motions should not be allowed in a Christian home.

It was difficult, at first, to throw away all my movies and books that contained any form of witchcraft because I like to be entertained as much as you do, but I knew it was a necessity if I wanted to have peace in my home.  I did not want nightmares or any other negative influences harassing me and especially not my husband.  I indeed noticed the peace as soon as they were all gone, and I was able to hear God's voice much more clearly.

Reading tarot cards, playing with Ouija boards, having your palm read, & séances are all things are also extremely dangerous and should be avoided.

Avoid Wicked Customs
“When you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. 
There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God drives them out from before you.  You shall be blameless before the Lord your God. For these nations which you will dispossess listened to soothsayers and diviners; but as for you, the Lord your God has not appointed such for you. Deuteronomy 18:9-14



There is only ONE light we should follow.
   
And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, the gods... in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:15

You cannot serve both light and dark.  Just as one cannot love two spouses, one cannot love both light and dark.  Choose today whom you will serve. 



Here are a few more scriptures on this subject:


Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.  Philippians 4:8-9


Light Bearers
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;  for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.  Do all things without complaining and disputing,  that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a  crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,  holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain. Philippians 2:12-16


In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was in the beginning with God.  All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.  And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

John’s Witness: The True Light
There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.  This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.  He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him.  But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.  John 1:13


Walking in the Spirit
I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.  But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law [of Moses]. Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry,
sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. Galatians 4:16-25

 ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to the women who sew magic charms on all their wrists and make veils of various lengths for their heads in order to ensnare people. Will you ensnare the lives of my people but preserve your own? You have profaned me among my people for a few handfuls of barley and scraps of bread. By lying to my people, who listen to lies, you have killed those who should not have died and have spared those who should not live. “‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against your magic charms with which you ensnare people like birds and I will tear them from your arms; I will set free the people that you ensnare like birds. I will tear off your veils and save my people from your hands, and they will no longer fall prey to your power. Then you will know that I am the Lord. Because you disheartened the righteous with your lies, when I had brought them no grief, and because you encouraged the wicked not to turn from their evil ways and so save their lives, therefore you will no longer see false visions or practice divination. I will save my people from your hands. And then you will know that I am the Lord.’”
Ezekiel 13:18-23

No comments:

Post a Comment