Search This Blog

Sunday, May 3, 2020

Blessed are the Humble, Meek, Merciful, & Peacemakers


 
For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of His government and peace
There will be no end,
Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom,
To order it and establish it with judgment and justice
From that time forward, even forever.
The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.
Isaiah 9:6-7
 
As Jesus was referred to as "The Prince of Peace" even before His birth, I want to explore how I can be more like this desired personality trait.  However, rather than focus on the act of feeling peaceful (I will save that subject for another day), God has placed it on my heart to write about what it means to act as a peacemaker.
 
I have often been criticized for being too timid, too quiet, and too passive. I am a firm supporter and admirer of my husband's boldness and ability to stand up for his beliefs, and wish I was much more brave.  However, I am learning to accept that I am a shy person and not be ashamed of it.  Especially since my peaceful personality makes it easier for my husband, friends, and co-workers to be around me.  They know I will not stir up dissention or quarrel (unless it is very, very important), and I will do my best to get along with everyone.  I am certainly not perfect, but I do try to make life easier on all those around me, which often includes being a peacemaker.  
 
 
But concerning brotherly love you have no need that I should write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another; and indeed you do so toward all the brethren... that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business...  I Thessalonians 4:9-11
 
My point, however, today is not about having a quiet personality.  In fact, I fully believe God gave us all different personalities for different reasons so that we can balance each other out.  Whether bold or shy, we are all called to be peacemakers and to treat each other with kindness and respect.  In fact there are so many scriptures on this subject, that I could not possibly list them all in one blog.  I will do my best to narrow it down.  Let's start with Christ's Sermon on the Mount.
 
 We've probably all heard all or most of what are often referred to as "The Beatitudes" that are part of Jesus' Sermon on The Mount.  Note how many of them have to do with having a gentle heart.

And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him. Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying:
Blessed are the poor in spirit, (or being humble in spirit)
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    For they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    For they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    For they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
    For they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
    For they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
    For they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
    For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against
you falsely for My sake.  Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."  Matthew 5:1-12

 
Wouldn't it have been amazing to be at the feet of Jesus as He taught this sermon?  I am so very grateful to have the bible and have access to the wisdom of Jesus and from the disciples who learned by His side.
 
 
One of the main themes of Christ was loving one another.  Some religions are so seeped in the old testament that they still believe in the "eye-for-an-eye" mentality, but I prefer to follow the advice of Jesus. * (See note at the end.) 
 
“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.   Matthew 5:38-39
 
By being called to be humble, meek, and peaceful we are also taught not to be quarrelsome and antagonistic.  There is definitely a time and a place to stand up for yourself and your beliefs, and I am proud of my husband for being such a person.  I am mostly referring to the people who refuse to respect others' beliefs to the point they become a troublemaker.
 
But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.  And a  servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient,  in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth.  II Timothy 2:23-25
 
It is honorable for a man to stop striving,
Since any fool can start a quarrel.
Proverbs 20:3
 
How are we called to handle such a person? 
 
But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless.  Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition,  knowing that such a person is warped and sinning, being self-condemned.  Titus3:9-11
 
Yes, that means it is perfectly acceptable to eject such a person from your life if you have first warned him to quit being so argumentative.  We are called to live in peace, not to be doormats or be forced to have people in our lives who are always stirring up dissention.  People who always want to criticize and argue are not respecting who you are as a person, and are not a genuine friend. 
 
Jesus taught His own disciples that they were to leave the towns of the people who would not accept their teachings.  Rather than stay and argue, they were to leave that town and not return.  Jesus uses the symbolism of shaking the dust from their feet as if to say they are not to even take the town's negative attitude with them, but leave it behind in the dust.
 
And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet."  Matthew 10:14 
 
 
Jesus was referred to as "The Prince of Peace," because His ultimate goal is to bring us a life of peace.  Peace to our hearts, minds, and lives.  He also wants us to be kind, loving, and gracious.  I realize I am repeating myself, but I am trying to convey an important quality of Christ's that we should try to imitate.  Yet, He also states, that though He was a peaceful man, His ministry was not to bring peace in this world.  As you read in the quote at the end of "The Beatitudes," Jesus makes it clear that we will be persecuted for our faith. 
 
“Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.  But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils and scourge you in their synagogues.  You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles.  But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak;  for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you. 
“Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.  For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’ " Matthew 10:16-20 & 34-36
 
Note that Jesus' advice that we are to be "wise as serpents and harmless as doves."  Again, there is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself, and being wise enough how to handle harmful people, but we are to be gentle when we deal with them.  The sad part about that scripture is that Jesus even warns us that there will be division among our own family members.  But Jesus goes on to say in this same chapter that we are to choose a life of Truth with Him even over our own family, if necessary.  Sadly, sometimes distancing ourselves from friends & family that are always antagonistic is a more peaceful solution than continuing to live in strife.
 
He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.  And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.  He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.  Matthew 10:37-90
 
 
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.  And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.  And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.  Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  I Corinthians 13:1-7
 
The beginning of this verse is essentially saying that, even if we have love in our hearts, if we treat others with disrespect and bad attitudes, we are no better than a noisy hypocrite.  We should strive to not just be hearers of the Word, but doers as well. 
 
I want to be a gentle person who treats others with respect.  I want to let insults fall of my back like water off a duck.  I want to reflect the Light of Christ.  I know I will never be perfect, and I will often make mistakes, but it is my goal to be a peacemaker.  Not because I am seeking a blessing, but because I want to make my Heavenly Father pleased with my effort.
 
It makes me feel good when my co-workers compliment me by saying they are impressed with the fact that they don't see me angry, I don't have a bad attitude, that I don't let rude people bother me, and that  I always have a smile and kind word for others.  I am not happy to hear these things out of vanity, but because I know it is Jesus working through me, and I give Him all the glory!  Without Christ I struggle with patience and kind words.  But with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I can see others in a different light and want to treat them as He would. 
 
Christians are to continue to grow in their faith, which also means living a life that reflects the Words of Christ.  That is why it is so important to never stop reading the bible, no matter how many years you have been reading it.  You will always be encouraged and reminded of the type of person Christ wants you to be.
 
Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering;  bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.  Colossians 3:12-13  
 
Hopefully, this is all making sense.  I will end with a few more scriptures.
 
Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God.  Matthew 5:9
 
Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another.  Romans 14:19
 
And you, [parents], do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.  Ephesians 6:4
 
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.  Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.  Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.  Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men.  If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.  Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord.  Therefore“If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.  Romans 12:14-21
 
* Note:  My statement has to do with personal persecutions.  I am a firm believer in the justice system and people being properly punished for their crimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment