The Seven Churches of Revelation, Part 1: Ephesus
I was not sure what to write about next, but as I was scrolling through my homepage on my ministry's Facebook page, I saw three different artwork images created that listed the seven churches in Revelation. I knew I had my answer. I know this is a topic that had been written on probably thousands of times, but I cannot assume the three postings from pages I do not even follow, as a mere coincidence. I know many people have probably done a better job writing on this subject, but this is my humble commentary. (Here are part 1 and 2 of my husband's excellent writings on the 7 churches: https://thankful-julie.blogspot.com/2026/04/revelation-21-29-seven-churches-part.html & https://thankful-julie.blogspot.com/2026/04/revelation-31-22-seven-churches-part.html )
This is not a deep historical dive into each church, but I am mostly going to be showing us how we can apply each message to our own lives.
(Revelation 2:1) Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks.
Let's go back to chapter 1. When John begins reporting his revelation from God, he tells us his description of Jesus. Chapter 1 is too long to list here, but please read the entire chapter on your own. Here is a brief excerpt from John's description (or you can read Revelation 1:1-20 here from my Bible Journal https://thankful-julie.blogspot.com/2025/05/revelation-11-20.html )
(Revelation 1:10-16) I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, Saying, "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea." And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
Such a beautiful and majestic description! You will see in chapter 2 that he also mentions the 7 stars and 7 candlesticks. In verse 20, Jesus explains this:
(Revelation 1:20) The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.
Now we will explore these 7 churches one at a time.
(Revelation 2:2) 'I know thy works..."
You will notice that to each and every church Jesus states, "I know thy works." No, our works can never earn our salvation, but our works very much do matter and all we do is being observed and recorded. We will all be accountable for our works.
(Romans 14:10-11) For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written, "As I live," saith the Lord, "every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God."
(Proverbs 24:12) Doth not He that pondereth the heart consider it? and He that keepeth thy soul, doth not He know it? and shall not He render to every man according to his works?
(Ecclesiastes 12:14) For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
I don't mean to dwell on the judgment issue, but I believe that if more people really comprehended the fact that we will all be judged for all our actions, we would be so much more careful in our choices, so here are just two more:
(Matthew 16:27) [Jesus said], "For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works."
(Revelation 20:12-13) And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Now back to Revelation, chapter 2.
(Revelation 2:2) 'I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.'
Jesus loves to report the good things He sees in people because He wants so much for each of us to succeed in our spiritual walk with the Holy Trinity. (2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord... is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.) He wants to encourage us to serve Him with all of our hearts. mind, and strength. He will uphold us when no one else stands by us. He will be our Champion and cheer us on when everyone else is trying to drag us down. He will be our strength and help us go against the flow of an immoral world. (Romans 12:1-2 - I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.)
For the church of Ephesus, Jesus is pleased with their labor and patience. He mentions their labor twice. It can be very difficult to labor for the cause of Christ. Finances, bad health, and
lack of other resources can make it hard. However, God does not want our excuses why we cannot serve Him but is very pleased when we just get in there and serve Him in whatever ability we posses. Have you heard this song written by Kittie L. Suffield: "Little is much when God is in it? Labor not for wealth or fame; There's a crown and you can win it, If you go in Jesus' name."? So true. Buy may we not seek more to lay our crown at His feet than to seek our own glory.
It is often difficult to find patience when we endure trials (Romans 5:3-4- And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope:) as well as being patient with others when they exasperate us (1 Timothy 6:11 -But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.). As I mentioned above, this series is not a historical documentary, but more of a personal one for each of us. Therefore, I do not know what type of patience Jesus was referring to in reference to the Ephesians, but we can be certain, that both types of patience please the Lord.
There are so many ways we can choose to stand against evil. It can be in the forms of injustice or moral issues. In this case Jesus says here that He is pleased with those whose intolerance of evil is exposing the false apostles as liars. Some people may get angry when a True follower of Jesus points out a false belief or heretical spiritual leader, but as long as it is done with tact and in order to help open the eyes of others, it is what Jesus would like us to do. We do not want to turn a blind eye when we see millions following a false preacher or false messiah. (Ephesians 5:11 - And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. & Matthew 15:14 -They be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.)
(Revelation 2:4-5) 'Nevertheless, I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.'
Verses 4-5 are enough to convince me that eternal security is false doctrine (although there are many other verses in the Bible that also say the same). When we fall away from our First Love, our walk with Jesus Christ, our candlestick can be removed out of heaven. But the great news is that Jesus gives each and every one of us a chance to fix our mistakes. When we repent and repeat our first works (dedicating our life to God, asking for forgiveness of sins, possibly even another baptism), He will take us back! (Here is just one writing I have done on this issue: https://thankful-julie.blogspot.com/2023/02/come-as-you-are-but-dont-stay-that-way.html )
(Revelation 2:6) 'But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.'
Jesus again points out a positive quality the Ephesians possess. He again recognizes and appreciates that they hated sinful practices. We should emulate this attitude. (Romans 12:9 - Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.)
To quickly sum up the deeds of the Nicolaitanes (Nicolaitans, in other version) that Jesus hated, they were full of idolatrous compromise and sexual immorality, which they justified by a distorted teaching that perverted grace into a license to sin. (1 Corinthians 10:14 - Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry. & 2 Timothy 2:22 - Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.)
(Revelation 2:7) "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God."
This last verse to the church of Ephesus is exactly why I want to share all 7 messages of the churches so we can see how we can relate. Because Jesus wants all of us to hear these messages.
To overcome means we have overcome sin in our lives. Not that any of us will ever be perfect, of course, but that we can overcome temptations to sin and conquer our fleshly desires to please Jesus. When we choose the plan of salvation and continue to walk in ways of holiness, we too we be able to eat of the tree of lie in God's eternal paradise!
(1 John 5:3-4) For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not grievous. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world.

No comments:
Post a Comment