Search This Blog

Saturday, August 8, 2026

Who are we trying to influence others to love? Jesus, the world, or us?



Who are we trying to influence others to love? Jesus, the world, or us? 

I do not spend a lot of time on any social media platform. In fact, the only one I ever go to is Facebook, but I only scroll through for a few minutes after I post. I do not even have a personal Facebook page, only one for this ministry page. I know there are a lot more social sites out there than Facebook, but I only know of about 4. Even though my knowledge of such sites is intentionally limited, I am still aware of what an influencer is, either by labeling themselves as such or simply by flooding social media for attention. Those people are the inspiration for this writing.

Think of this as you read this blog: Two definitions of influence are: (1) the capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something, or the effect itself: (2) a person or thing with the capacity to have an influence on someone or something. The definition of an influencer is: a person who has become well known through regular social media posts and is able to promote a product or service by recommending or using it online.

(Ecclesiastes 1:2, AMP) “Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher. “Vanity of vanities! All [that is done without God’s guidance] is vanity [futile, meaningless—a wisp of smoke, a vapor that vanishes, merely chasing the wind].”


Let me go back to saying that I spend a few minutes after posting on Facebook to scroll through the home page. I only follow 9 sites (4 belong to my husband, 2 are KJV Bible verse pages, 1 is Bible Gateway, and the other 2 are ministers: Nicky Cruz & (the late) David Wilkerson) so the majority of what shows up on my feed is based on Facebook figuring out my interest in southern gospel music but not pages or people I follow.

With that second long explanation, let me finally get to the point of this writing. I am not here to insult anyone, so I am not naming names, I am just stating what I see and also state this is why I do not follow any "Christian" celebrities, no matter how much I enjoy their music.

And, let me also state that are some very honorable singers out there that only use their group or individual fan pages for glorifying God and do not post for the sake of vanity such singers from Greater Vision, The Inspirations, Ernie Haase, and maybe 1 or 2 others. Of course, I do not scroll through all the posts or seek out their pages to see what they have posted very often, but what I have seen so far has been to promote their music, share a (non-musical) Christian message, or general posts that do not fall into the below categories. However, they are the rare exceptions.

Understandably many of these singers are using their fan pages to be influencers. Are they trying to influence you to like their group? Yes, no problem there, that is their career. But beyond that it seems as if the majority of their posts revolve around non-musical issues. What they are wearing, what over-priced meal they are eating, about some new hair style, their workout routines, their snack choices, and even posting about the ungodly, perverted, satanic tv shows and movies they watch. One singer even showed his large collection of murder mystery novels he collects. Why are Christians reading violent, often very disturbing books about murder? I have seen these singers promote sexually suggestive shows such as The Office, Mash, (I know they are impure shows because I was once guilty enough to watch them before I listened to God's correction and gave up all tv/movies), and all manner of shows promoting witchcraft from children's cartoons to superhero movies and others filled occultic characters. These singers are even trying to influence you to listen to secular music that does not glorify God! Southern gospel may be related to country music (sort of, I actually feel the styles are very different), so I see a lot of Christian singers promoting ungodly music that sings of sex outside of marriage, drinking, and even violence. Not just country music, but way too many promotions of the very worldly Elvis, and current rock stars. Just because a singer mentions prayer or God one time or two times in a song, it does not change the fact that neither their lifestyle nor music has the pattern of bringing honor to God.

(1 Corinthians 10:21) Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

(2 Corinthians 6:14-18- 7:1) Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness... for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, "I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate," saith the Lord, "and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.


If you stumbled upon one of these singers pages, would you even be able to tell they considered themselves a Christian? They look, dress, and promote the same entertainment choices that the world does.

(Romans 12:1-2) I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

(James 4:4) Know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

They even use their children as bait to get you to follow them. I have seen many post pictures of their teenage daughters in way too provocative clothing (even in prom dresses - what happened to Christians avoiding ungodly, oversexualized dance events, especially for their children), and their younger children dressed in clothing promoting witchcraft. Yes, Frozen, Cinderella, Beauty & The Beast (etc.) all promote witchcraft (Galatians 5:19-21 - Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these... witchcraft... of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. & Revelation 21:8 - But the... sorcerers... shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.) Parents, you are supposed to be protecting your children, not parading them in front of the world full of pedophiles. Plus, why aren't they teaching them to dress modestly rather than show off bodies?

(1 Timothy 2:9-10) In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with... costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

With all that said, yes, I will still listen to their music because the music glorifies God, even when their social media posts do not, and I can use their music to worship God. However, it is why it is so very important not to put any Christian, especially a celebrity, on pedestal. Every time I think I found a group that seems sincere, all I have to do is go to their Facebook fan page and I see they are just like the world. They may sing beautiful songs about the holiness of God, but post about a raunchy movie they just saw. They may sing about loving Jesus but then post a picture of themselves in a very low-cut top, short shorts, etc. (women), in a swimsuit, or brag about their weight loss or other vanity issues (men and women). Who exactly are they trying to influence you to love? Jesus, the world, or them?

I am not saying these people are not truly Christians, as that it between them and God. But I wish (and even pray) they would use their posts for Bible studies and promote less worldly topics. And believe it or not, I am not writing all of this to be judgmental, just to get you to think. Let me repeat from above, but make it more personal: Who exactly are we trying to influence others to love? Jesus, the world, or us?


It doesn't matter if you have a social media page with 1 or 1 million followers. It doesn't matter if you don't even have a social media page. What matters is if you are using your time to influence people, even one on one, to love Jesus. To follow in His footsteps, not yours.

It is perfectly okay to post pictures of family vacations (as long as everyone is dressed modestly), pets, foods you like to eat/cook (as long as you are not doing so to show off your wealth or brag about your diet), or other nice things that make you happy, but these things should in balance to sharing about Jesus. Let me strike that. All else should take a backseat or even be in an entirely different vehicle. If you are sharing personal facts, then use it to make an illustration or to glorify God, not just to show off how attractive, thin, or rich you are. These things are just for attention for YOU, and why are you taking the focus off of God and putting it on yourself. I struggle to even put myself in my profile picture for my page, but I figure people want to see who is writing what they are reading.

Before you post and try to influence someone, think of these criteria. Is it glorifying God, is it pure or lovely, and will it encourage others to follow Jesus?

(1 Corinthians 10:31) Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

(Philippians 4:8) Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.


(Colossians 3:16-17, AMP) Let the [spoken] word of Christ have its home within you [dwelling in your heart and mind—permeating every aspect of your being] as you teach [spiritual things] and admonish and train one another with all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Whatever you do [no matter what it is] in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus [and in dependence on Him].

(1 Thessalonians 5:11) Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

(Hebrews 10:23-25) Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works... but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

(Ephesians 4:29) Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.


Let us all remind people that God loves them, will forgive their sins, and had prepared a paradise for those who obey Him. And let's tell others how much we love Jesus and when we say we love Him, it is our utmost honor to share and glorify His holy name influence them to obey Jesus as an act of pure love and devotion!

(John 3:16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

(John 15:9-15) [Jesus said,] "As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in His love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.  Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you."

(1 John 5:1-3) Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

(John 14:15, 21 & 23-24) [Jesus said,] "If ye love me, keep my commandments. He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him."

Jesus answered and said unto him, "If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me."
 
(Matthew 19:16-19) And, behold, one came and said unto [Jesus], "Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?"

And He said unto him, "Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments."

He saith unto Him, "Which?"

Jesus said, "Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

(1 John 2:3-6) And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, "I know Him," and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

(1 John 2:15-17) Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment