Search This Blog

Saturday, October 14, 2023

Pursuing the Fruits of the Spirit: Gentleness

 


But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance. Galatians 5:22-23

As I was gathering the scriptures for this series that Mel and I are writing, I noticed a trend.  Pursing gentleness (and any other fruit) is equated with pursing the good works that are so important to our Lord.  And, no, we are not saved by our works (Salvation is a free gift), but, yes, our works do matter! Gentleness is not merely a personality trait, it is an active decision to treat each other with tenderness (Please read all the scriptures I listed at the end).

In a world full of strife and antagonistic people, it is not always easy to be gentle, especially when the other person is being the opposite.  Do not make the mistake of assuming being gentle is being weak.  Most of my life I have been told I need to grow a backbone and learn to stand up for myself.  Although I enjoy being in the right as much as most people, I am very shy and I hate confrontation.  It used to bother me that I was not more bold, but the more I read my Bible and study the fruits of the Spirit, the less I have the need to prove the other person wrong. 

I have worked many jobs with a lot of strong personalities and, let’s just say, “bossy” tendencies.  I often came home feeling frustrated and even ganged up on, especially when I had done nothing wrong.  I struggled with wanting to fight back and with wanting to walk away from the job.  Then one morning I started to pray, “Dear Jesus, I want to pursue the fruits of Your Spirit and not let my co-workers’ need to always be right make me so upset.  Please give me the wisdom and strength I need to glorify Your name.”  Since that day, after about my fifth or sixth week on the job, I was finally able just to smile and say, “Thanks for the advice,” or, “I’ll try it that way next time,” and not feel offended.  It was that prayer, and the direct answer to it, that inspired the theme for this blog series I asked my husband to write with me.

As I said above, being gentle is not just a personality trait one is born with, it is something most of us have to make a deliberate effort to convey.  Rather than shouting back at a smart alec when you feel it is your right to put  him in his place, walk away.  The old saying, “If you have nothing nice to say, then don’t say anything,” is actually good advice.  Who cares if the bully thinks you are being weak by not fighting back?  What truly matters is what God thinks.  And our Savior very much wants us to pursue gentleness with others.

Being gentle also means being compassionate.  A while ago, Mel and I were at a yard sale where a woman stubbed her bare toe (she was in sandals) on a hard wooden crate.  Mel quickly asked, “Ma’am, are you okay?” but the woman’s own husband coldly turned his face away from her and walked away.  Mel and I both observed the hurt look on the face of the wife, as her husband did not bother to acknowledge her bloody toe.  How much it would have meant to her had he shown her gentleness even if he had used few words but assisted her to a chair and even kissed her cheek!  Mel and I discussed on the drive home how badly we felt for the wife.  Wives and husbands, please show each other gentleness and compassion from everything to a stubbed toe to depression and grief!  We do not have to relate to what the other is feeling or even react to pain in the same way to be able to “bear one another’s burdens” (Galatians 6:2). 

Jesus Christ was by far the most incredible example of gentleness anyone could ever have exhibited.  It is why so many scriptures refer to Him as a lamb.  No, He was not weak, as being gentle does not make one cowardly.  Yes, He corrected the Pharisees of their legalistic ways and scolded his disciples when they were too stubborn to understand His words.  However, He spoke the Truth in love.  He wept and prayed for all those he walked among just as He still intercedes for mankind today.  When led to His own horrendous crucifixion, He did not fight back, but allowed His false accusers to torture Him so He could die for our sins.  That is not only gentleness personified, it is sacrifice and love exemplified.  Doesn’t that only make you want to be gentle as Christ was (and still is) gentle?      
                                                                                                          
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: "The Lord knows those who are His," and, "Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity." But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work. Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife. And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will. II Timothy 2:19-26

Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good workto speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men. Titus 3:1-2

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdomBut if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:13-18

I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.  Ephesians 4:1-3

Do not let your adornment be merely outward--arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel-- rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God. For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands.  I Peter 3:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment