Search This Blog

Monday, September 4, 2023

Even When They Will Not Listen

 


As a Christian, sometimes the hardest thing to do is not t0 give up on spreading the True gospel message and praying for other people. We can feel very alone and isolated when so few of our family, friends, co-workers, and even fellow Christians believe the way we do.  When others find every opportunity to make a jab at our expense, and even sometimes go out of their way to turn a conversation into an insult about our holiness beliefs, it is very difficult not to give up wanting to speak the Truth. You will wonder, "Am I making a difference?"  And you will ponder, "What's the point of standing up for my beliefs if no one listens?"  We can cling to our own ego of wanting to be accepted and liked by the world more than wanting to cling to the pleasing of God. 

Did you know that the Bible tells us if we refuse to share the True message of the Bible (not some watered-down version), and the people we know go to Hell, we are responsible?  Yet, on the other hand, if we warn them and they refuse to listen, we can wash our hands clean of their wrong choices.  Pretty serious responsibility when you look at sharing the message of holiness from that angle. 

When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul. Ezekiel 33:8-9

Whether speaking casually to people you know, sharing a message over the Internet, or preaching behind a pulpit or on a street corner, you will ask yourself, "How often do any of my words help others think about God and holiness differently?  Does anyone read their Bible more because of my encouragement?  Has anyone considered giving up even one sinful habit because they listened to what is in God's Word?"  When you see little to no fruits of your labor, you will want to give up.  Out of a desire to and be liked rather than be ignored, you will want to be silent about what the Bible says concerning issues that are shutting believers and nonbelievers alike out of the Kingdom of Heaven.  

When I am feeling discouraged about the lack of change I see in people I pray and weep over, and when I do not feel as if any of my efforts I put into sharing the love and True grace of God that must be accompanied by daily repentance, I get discouraged. I sometimes want to quit writing or making videos.  However, when I feel as if I have not helped even one person, I remind myself of the prophet Jeremiah.  

Jeremiah was called to preach repentance to a very stubborn people.  In Jeremiah chapter 7, God is very honest with the prophet and tells him that the people will not listen to his message, in verses 27-28 God says, "Therefore thou shalt speak all these words unto them; but they will not hearken to thee: thou shalt also call unto them; but they will not answer thee. But thou shalt say unto them, 'This is a nation that obeyeth not the voice of the Lord their God, nor receiveth correction: truth is perished, and is cut off from their mouth.'"  God tells Jeremiah to keep preaching the Truth even though He knows Jeremiah will be ignored, ridiculed, and persecuted. Jeremiah did not give up because He loved the Lord and he was willing to please the Lord, even if no one listened and he suffered greatly for it.

Ezekiel was also told very bluntly by God that the people to whom he was called to preach would not listen to him in Ezekiel 3:7, "But the house of Israel will not hearken unto thee; for they will not hearken unto me: for all the house of Israel are impudent and hardhearted."   Yet, God grants the man of God a gift I know we all wish we had.  In verse 9 of the same chapter, God tells Ezekiel that He will make Ezekiel's forehead stronger than flint so he can bear the abuse without fear or bitterness.  I literally also pray for a head so strong that I do not care if I am ignored or ridiculed, but that I can preach on in spite if my ego being bruised.  So you see, this writing is meant to encourage me as well!

Again, with the prophet Isaiah, he is warned no one will listen to him.  In chapter 6, right after the beautiful scripture where the angel cleanses his lips with coal (verses 5-7), and Isaiah says in verse 8, "Here am I; send me," God lets him know what he has signed up for. In verse 9 God tells Isaiah the people will "...understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not."  Then Isaiah asks in verse 11, "Lord, how long?" And God tells Him in verses 11-12, "Until the cities be wasted without inhabitant, and the houses without man, and the land be utterly desolate, And the Lord have removed men far away, and there be a great forsaking in the midst of the land."  It sounds to me as if God is saying people will refuse to listen to all prophets' warnings until the end of time. But Isaiah continued forward in his ministry writing the most powerful and beautiful books in the Old Testament.

In 2 Timothy 4:3-4, Paul also warns, "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."  This verse, along with all the others I have listed can seem very discouraging and make you want to give up. However, I do not want to discourage you from preaching through your actions and your words.  I am not saying that we should assume all are lost to the Truths of the gospel message.  I am not saying we should cease praying for individual revival for our friends and family.  The word revival essentially means 'an awakening,' and I strongly believe we need never cease praying for those we love to have their eyes opened and ears unplugged.

We preach by action and deed (not just in sermons) because we love the Lord and want to be obedient to Mark 16:15"And He said unto them, 'Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.'"  As I often say and write, I teach, not out of a self-righteous heart, but because I also wish that none should perish in a lake of fire.  Although it is often tempting to give up, I press forward, choosing to believe that even when it seems as if none if my messages on holiness are getting through, that a seed has been planted.  If even one person softens his or her heart enough to let that seed grow, then I have done my job.  I want to please God above all and glorify His holy name. To help people understand the great love and mercy of God and then to teach them what the Bible says about walking down the narrow path that leads to Heaven. I pray to stay on fire for God and for you to feel the same urgency that time is short, and we need to keep trying to point people to Heaven.  

Bottom line here is not to give into discouragement and doubt but keep on preaching and praying for those you love and for those you don't even know.  Luke 19:13 tells us "to Occupy till" Jesus comes. In other words, being a Christian is proactive and we should continue to work for His kingdom until we die or until the end of the Tribulation. Even when it is emotionally, physically, and even financially difficult.  God will provide all you need when your desire is to glorify His name. 

Encourage your fellow believers as well in their faith and share with one another when you feel like giving up. Even when others will not listen, remind each other of all those in both the Old and New Testaments that were not well received, including our dear precious Jesus, and know we are not better than they and we are sure to be rejected as well. In John 15:18 Jesus says," If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hateyou." And yet, in spite of being rejected Jesus was "obedient unto death, even the death of the cross" (Philippians 2:8).  So be encouraged and do not give up! Be like Jesus and be obedient to the will of God in your life and continue to share the Truths about holiness what it takes to walk down the straight and narrow path.  Pray that the Holy Spirit gives you the strength to not give in to compromise or fear, but press forward and be a light in the darkness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment