Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Daddy's Girls & Hallelujah

 As you may or may not know, my dad, Otto, went home to be with Jesus in January.  Writing these poems was very healing for me, so I thought I would share them with you.


Daddy’s Girls


Two little girls,

One redhead one blonde,

Enticing Daddy to play,

“Come on, Daddy, come on!”


Daddy prepared sermons, and worked a second job, 

But when the work was done,

There were Daddy-Daughter days,

With roast beef and ice cream cones.


We made believe we were robots,

Where pretzels became energy cells,

We sang silly bedtime songs,

And Daddy prayed all was well.


As the little girls grew up,

As all of us must do,

We began to go our own ways,

And times with Daddy were few.


Yet Daddy was still our support,

And encouraged us as we dreamed,

He would cheer every achievement,

And tell us defeat was not as bad as it seemed. 


Then came college,

And marriage for the elder,

As he walked her down the aisle,

Daddy released her to another man’s shelter.


A family became divided,

And hearts were shattered,

But we all continued to love,

And forgave when it mattered.


Father became friend as the younger remained single,

Their bond was ever so strong,

As they shared life’s ups and downs,

Until it was time for both to move on.


A husband for the daughter,

God’s gift of joy from above,

A new wife for and new location for Daddy, 

They were separated but happy with their new love.


Through the distance his daughters kept in touch,

But Daddy’s health was in danger,

First a heart attack with many complications,

Many surgeries, and even cancer.


Prayers upon prayers,

Tears upon tears,

His daughters worried for Daddy

Afraid for the worst in a sea of fears.


Daddy fought like a warrior,

But his enemy was stronger,

For reasons unknown,

Daddy could stay here no longer.


They cried and screamed,

They ached beyond measure in their pain,

But they could rejoice Daddy was at peace in Heaven,

Knowing they would someday see him again.


Two grown women,

One redhead, the other blonde,

Saying, "Daddy, we will miss you,

But in our hearts, you are never gone."


Thankful for his legacy of faith,

Teaching them the Truths of Old,

Knowing God is in control,

Someday they will join him on the Streets of Gold.


-Julie Ludeke 05/14/22


Hallelujah


I had another dream,

Where we were having a casual chat,

So much like we used to do,

When you suddenly announced you must go,

You could not stay any longer;

As you swiftly began your exit,

I raced after you trying to keep up,

Pleading, “Don’t go yet, Dad,

There’s so much more I want to say!”

But you did not reply,

And you were gone.


I awoke enveloped in a heavy cloak of sadness,

Missing you with such an ache;

Hopes and fears in my heart I want to share,

Yet these conversations we will never have;

In spite of my grief,

I could not cry,

Instead, I began to pray.


So many words came back to me then,

Our last conversation 

When you could scarcely speak,

And I said, “It’s okay, Daddy,

Just know I love you very much.”

I remembered how often you told me you loved me,

And how much you loved my husband,

And you prayed for us daily.


I remembered that your wife shared with me

Your very last word,

When you were surrounded by those you loved,

Sweet Dee played music for you;

Although you had not spoken for a while,

Before you left, you clearly said,

“Hallelujah!"


Just one word,

One word that soothes my soul;

One word to let me know

You were ready to go;

One word to give me peace;

You are in perfection now,

Walking down streets of gold,

Embraced in pure love from God;

One word to bring comfort,

Reminding me I will see you again.


Though I still have much more to say,

I must let you rush ahead,

To a place where you are safe and free,

In the holy presence of Jesus,

Where your pain is gone,

And you can rest and find joy;

Hallelujah, indeed!


Julie Ludeke 06/06/22


And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” And the twelve gates were twelve pearls: every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.  Revelation 21:4-5 & 21

No comments:

Post a Comment