Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2021

Are you sensitive?

I am always in prayer asking what God wants me to write about next. Sometimes the topics come to me in unusual ways, such as this one.  I was preparing to brush my teeth and had the medicine cabinet open when the box of toothpaste with the huge "Sensitive" on the front captured my attention.  I then noticed in smaller letters the word "Extreme."  Although this is a new box of toothpaste, it is not the first time I have seen that box, but it is the first time it inspired a blog topic!  It was as if the Lord was telling me how important it was to be extremely sensitive to the voice of the Holy Spirit.  Maybe this whole idea is solely from my mind alone and not inspired by God, but I will still do my best to address the subject that is on my heart today.

When I think of the word "sensitive" the first thing that comes to my mind is being too sensitive to the opinions of other people. This is something I struggle with, but God has been training me to let go of my ego and only care about what He thinks.

For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. Galatians 1:10

The next thing I think of is being sensitive to the needs of others.  It is very important to care about what other people go through.  If you do not care and can only see flaws, you need to pray that God will help you be more sensitive to the cries of his children.

While I was preparing to write this blog I had the video I just posted to the Facebook page playing titled, "Question Answer Panel On The Life Of Leonard Ravenhill,"  ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUx9v0CRZ_Y ), and this phrase said by Paul Washer jumped out at me:

 "You don't have the right to preach like a [Leonard] Ravenhill unless you are weeping with a broken heart over the souls you are preaching to." 

That one sentence says so much about the hearts we should have toward all people and it is permanently sealed in my memory banks.

Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weepRomans 12:15 

As important as it not to be overly sensitive about our own ego and to be sensitive to the needs of others, as I stated above, the issue I felt I wanted to write about today was more about being sensitive to the Holy Spirit. In fact, if we are to thrive and grow in our walk with the Lord, our sensitivity needs to be extreme.

I could not specifically find any scripture verses in the King James Version using the word "sensitive," but this verse in 2 Kings fits this topic quite well:

Because thine heart was tender, and thou hast humbled thyself before the Lord, when thou heardest what I spake... and wept before me; I also have heard thee, saith the Lord. 2 Kings 22:19 

Being sensitive can easily mean softening our hard-hearted will by being tender toward the Holy Spirit's correction and obeying the principles of the Bible. Only then will we be able to clearly hear the voice of the Holy Spirit. Do not harden your hearts because you refuse to give up what you know goes against the Bible, but be sensitive to what He is calling you to do or not do.  

But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end. Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation... Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do always err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. Hebrews 3:6-10

Do not resist the gentle corrections of the Holy Spirit, but be sensitive to what He is saying to you and be willing to change.  

"Ye stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye." Acts 7:51

When you read in Acts where the disciples were filled with the Holy Spirit, notice this verse:

Then Peter said unto them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." Acts 2:38

And then in in chapter 5:

"...the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him." Acts 5:32

In other words, in order to receive and later be directed by the Holy Spirit, we must first repent of our sins and continually walk in obedience to Jesus Christ. 

The Holy Spirit is not just here for our correction and spiritual growth, but in order to be comforted and led by Him, we must first surrender our will so we can feel His peace and understand His directions. Then, when we are spiritually ready, the Holy Spirit will fill us with joy unspeakable (1 Peter 1:8) and a peace that passes all understanding (Philippians 4:7).  He will help you get through the tough times in your life.

Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy GhostRomans 15:13

When you allow your heart to be thoroughly cleaned and become sensitive to the Holy Spirit, He will be your teacher and guide:

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 1 Corinthians 2:12-14

Notice in verse 14 that when you see spiritual things as "foolishness" you will not have the guidance and direction in your life that can lead you down paths of safety and joy.

There is so much more I could say on this subject and in the future I will write more about the Holy Spirit, but for now I will wrap this up.  

The Holy Spirit comforts, guides, and corrects in order to give us a more fulfilling life. When we allow ourselves to be taught, He will break our chains of sin and lead us to a life of joy and freedom found only in the complete trinity of God the Father, Jesus Christ the son, and the Holy Spirit. I will leave you with these beautiful words said by Jesus. Let His words be your strength as you pray about being more sensitive to what the Holy Spirit is trying to teach you this week. (Notice how Jesus reminds us that if we say we love Him, we will obey Him.)

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. 

"He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. 

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.John 14:16-18, 21, 23-24, 26-27



No comments:

Post a Comment