Search This Blog

Friday, May 12, 2017

The Cross-Stitching Comparison


One of the hobbies I enjoy is cross-stitching.  The first cross-stich I made was for my Grandma in 2003.  I have made more projects than I can count; I seem always to be working on something as it keeps my mind from getting bored.  Since I have been extra cross-stich occupied this month, I began realizing how many parallels there are between cross-stitching and my Christian walk.  Sounds silly, I know, but read on and you will see what I mean.

Before I can even begin to work on a project, I must make sure my hands are clean.  I would not want inadvertently to transfer any dirt onto the nice clean fabric.  One little stain could ruin a lot of hard work. 

The same is true in the way I should approach my relationship with the Lord.  I must make certain my hands, mind, body, spirit, and heart are all clean on the inside and not just on the outside.  Sin can separate me from my Holy Father.  One mark can soil all my good works.  Yet, just as stain remover can save the cross-stitch, prayer and sincere repentance can restore me unto Christ.      

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence.
Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.
Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness.  Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness, Matthew 23:25-28
 
If I want my project to be a work of art and not just something to do to occupy my restless mind, then I must follow the pattern.  I study it and formulate a plan of action, make notes, and have all my thread organized before I even begin.  I become so meticulous about the pattern, I sometimes even dream about my work.  I must stick to the pattern if I am to have a successful project.  If I try to set the instructions aside and veer off on my own, chances are I will have a messy outcome.

If I am to walk down paths of righteousness and not merely be a Christian in title alone, I must study the Word of God.  I must know Christ’s laws intimately.  I am not to merely read the Bible for unproductive entertainment, but to absorb all I read, make notes, and let it all sink in.  I am to be so obsessed with the words of Jesus Christ, I even dream in scripture verses.  If I stray away from what the bible teaches, I will end up with a mess.  I must follow through obeying Jesus’ commandments in order to successfully endure to the end.

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing. II Timothy 4:7-8   
 
As I work, it is fun to start to see a picture taking shape, but it is difficult to make out the complete picture until the project is farther advanced.

Just like life, right!  When we look at our life in segments, it sometimes makes no sense.  What is the big picture?  We often have to wait until something very specific happens to see the results.  For example, when the insurance company fired me in 2011, I felt like God had let me down.  It was not until I met Mel three months later that I realized all the time I had while I was unemployed was a huge gift from God.  It made it possible for us to spend a lot of time together so we were able to fall in love and get married three months after meeting.  If I had been employed when we met, I may not even have found the time to meet him in the first place.  What a huge loss that would have been!  Marrying Mel has been the best thing that ever happened to me (after my relationship with the Lord, of course).

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11      

It is inevitable that I will make a mistake at least once during my project.  My mind wanders easily, so sometimes forcing my brain to focus and properly count the little squares to place the stitches in the right places goes wrong.  Gratefully, I have a wonderful pair of scissors called “snip-a-stitch” (which, strangely enough, are identical in style to the suture removal scissors I used in veterinary medicine).  I can simply cut away the misplaced thread and correct my mistakes.

Not all mistakes in life can be undone.  Sometimes the damage we have caused is so severe a relationship is forever ruined.  However, with Christ, He will always take me back if I repent.  Revelation 2:1-7 speaks to the church in Ephesus that has lost its love for Jesus.  Yet, God tells them if they repent and do their first works over, He will take them back.  As I have said many times, grace is not automatic, we must ask for forgiveness and repent with a sincere and penitent heart, determined never to repeat the same sins.  When we do as such, Jesus is then gracious enough to forgive us.


Nevertheless I have
this against you, that you have left your first love.
Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place--unless you repent.
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God. Revelation 2:4, 5 & 7

When I look at the back of a completed cross-stich project, it looks like a mess!  I am certain the perfectionists out there follow all the rules and the flip side of their fabrics all look neat and tidy in the end, but not mine!  It is a jumble of knots and shows all the places my thread became tangled and snagged.  There is little resemblance of the design on the other side.  It looks as if I did not even begin to follow the pattern.  What is before my eyes is nonsensical.  Yet turn it over and, voila, a beautiful picture is now visible. 

I cannot count the times when my life felt like an ugly chaotic mess.  My heart was knotted and messy.  As I stated a few paragraphs ago, I cannot always see the big picture and have often been certain God has left me on my own with no directions.  However, when I step back and analyze the entire picture and not just one-side, I can clearly see God’s hand has always been present. 

In the series of novels I am writing (Mel calls them the “Zynastrian Chronicles”), in both books one and two (I am now currently working on book 3), one of the common themes is learning to recognize how God’s hand so beautifully guides our paths.  Zachariah, one of the main characters, has had a series of disappointments and heartaches in his life.  He is only able to heal from his past and learn to let go of his anger toward God after he realizes how each major stage in his life all happened for his own good.  I do not want to waste time going into Zachariah’s story since that is not the point of this blog, but basically his life was a tangled mess.  Yet when he is finally ready to see the other side of things, his heart heals and he is able to reconcile with God.  I must have this same attitude. 

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.  Romans 8:28


The last step of every cross-stitch project is to add the backstitching.  These lines create the detail and make the picture more defined.  Without the added lines, the picture is pretty, but not distinct.

There are times in our lives we may assume we are finished, or have the attitude we are good enough, but there are still more details for God to add.  It may seem we are at a place where everything is right where it should be, but God is never fully finished working on us.  Unlike a cross-stich that eventually has an end, God is always adding the well-defined moments to our lives that make us complete.  We are always growing spiritually (or at least we should be), and God is always finding more and more ways to bless us.  The details only get better and better as our lives progress.   

Lord, You have searched me and known me.
You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off.
You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways.
For
there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.
You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot attain it. For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb.
I will praise You, for I am fearfully
and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well.
My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When
as yet there were none of them.  Psalm 139:1-6 & 13-16  


As I mentioned in the first paragraph, I have made more projects than I can count.  Yet I have only made one project exclusively for myself. The above picture the gift I made for Mel’s birthday last year (I have also made him at least three other cross-stitches and I am currently working on a two-sided lighthouse bookmark for him). I do not have pictures of most of the presents I have made.  All of my projects have been gifts for others or for my husband and me to share.  I have wanted to make myself a bookmark for a while, but I am always working on something for someone else.  This is in no way a complaint.  It makes me very happy to create a work of art for someone else. I have always loved giving gifts, and being on a limited budget, cross-stitching is something I can easily afford.  It is personal, and while I am making it, I can take the time to pray over the person.  Sometimes God even calls me to make projects for people I scarcely know or for whom I have hard feelings.  Making such a craft is therapeutic.   

And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive." Acts 20:35

This is the way God wants me to approach my faith.  We are called to let our lights shine and not keep our faith hidden.  When we share the love of Christ more people than we may ever realize will benefit.  With such a perfect gift of love that Jesus has given to us, why would we want to keep it to ourselves? 

 You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all
who are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.  Matthew 5:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment