Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2016

Attitude Adjustment

 I have a confession: I have had a bad attitude these past 12 days.  I took a nasty fall on the ice in front of the school (where I work) and injured my back, hips, ribs, and even bruised my kidneys.  I am in pain pretty much 24 hours a day, and having to work a job on my feet with possibly a bone broken (waiting for the doc to get an MRI ordered).  This has put me in a very grouchy mood.  I have been very grumbly.  I've been complaining about the maintenance at the school, the lazy attitude of the doctor barely treating me, whining about this seemingly never-ending winter, and the list goes on.
 
There is nothing wrong with being angry when things don't go our way:
 
“Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath.  Ephesians 4:26
 
But it is not good to wallow in self pity.  I know several people who continually live in pity-party land and are rarely happy.  I do not want to be one of those people.  I also don't want to ever be one of those who always has an excuse for a bad attitude.  "I was wronged, so I have a right to be rude to you."  "I'm in pain, so you'll just have to deal with my frown."  "God didn't protect me, so I have a right not to pray." 
 
 
When the Bible says: This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it. (Psalm 118:24) it does not elude to a specific day that we are to rejoice in.  Nor does it say to only be glad when or only if.  God had made every day, therefore, logic says to rejoice every day. 
 
I am reminded that  ...the joy of the Lord is [my] strength.  (Nehemiah 8:10) especially when I am lacking my own strength.  And Paul reminds me to Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Philippians 4:4  When?  Always!!
 
I am also reminded that A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance, But by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.  Proverbs 15:13 & A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22  In other words, a bad attitude will affect my physical, spiritual, and mental health.  

There are a lot more bible verses about having a positive attitude (and there a lot about having a bad attitude - especially in Exodus), but I am going to end with this one: 

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.  Matthew 5:16

In other words, if I choose to wear my grouchy pants, how am I to share the love of Christ?  Yes, we all have bad, sad, painful days, but we should try not to let our situations affect our testimony.


Obviously I don't have any grand point today, but just a simple reminder, mostly to myself, to watch my attitude so I don't ruin my testimony, but mostly for the sake of my wonderful husband, so that I may be a good wife to him.  And lastly, for my own sake, so that I can feel peaceful and calm and not wallow in the muck and mire of self-absorption.  When I focus on God and not my own problems, I am an all-around better person, co-worker, and most important, better wife!  

No comments:

Post a Comment