Search This Blog

Monday, August 19, 2024

How was I able to find a spiritual message while making dog bones?


My late father, a former preacher, used to insist that you can find a sermon in any subject.  However, I am sure you are wondering what spiritual significance dog bones could possibly have!  Sit back, and I will tell you just how I was able to find a "sermon" in the making of 113 dog bones! 

In 2020, we rescued a white German Shepherd from a very irresponsible breeder. To keep a very long story much shorter, Sierra has not been the healthiest dog, and we have only just now figured out that food allergies may be what is contributing to her hair and weight loss. Because the commercially made foods for pets with allergies are way beyond our budget, I have begun cooking food for her and our other two dogs every day. Although we have seen some improvement in Sierra, she is still very skinny. Therefore, I decided to make her some high-protein dog bones to help supplement her diet. I researched what foods were best (and safest) for my dog to improve.  I have a neurological condition that causes extreme fatigue, weakness, and pain, yet I was willing to stand on my feet for close to two hours making this special recipe I created and rolled out 113 dog bones!  I didn't give up, but I kept going until all the bones were baked!  

Wow, what commitment, right?  Now maybe you are starting to understand how I became inspired to write this blog.  While I worked hard researching, formulating, and executing the perfect recipe, I found myself doing some serious self-examination and asked myself if I put forth that much effort in my walk with the Lord.  

2 Timothy 2:15 says, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."  This means that God is very pleased with us when we study His Holy Word and learn what is right and wrong in the eyes of Jesus, not in the eyes of man.  Just as I studied up on my dog's condition and what foods would be the most beneficial to her, it is even more important that I study all that God commands of me in my walk with Him in order to please Him.  The more I read my Bible and know what it says, the more I will be able to be able to distinguish between the false teachers and the ones telling me exactly what the Bible says.  I will be able to "divide the truth" from fiction.

Just as I wanted to know what was healthy for my dog, if I want to know what is healthy for my spiritual walk, one place to start is Galatians 5:19-25.  It is a great list of what I should and should not do to stay thriving in the Lord. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit."

As I chose not to give into my physical pain and fatigue while I rolled out and baked all those bones, I need to maintain vitality as a seek to walk down paths of righteousness.  2 Thessalonians 3:13 reminds me to "be not weary in well doing."  With apathy, opposition, and even mocking words from others, it can be exhausting standing up for holiness.  It can be tempting to give up.  But God's Words encourage us to keep going strong for Him.  He will be all the physical, emotional, mental, and especially spiritual strength we will ever need.

Just as I mentioned my dad in the beginning of his blog, I will end with a verse he loved to quote.  Isaiah 40:29-31 were his favorite scripture verses and they very much apply here as a reminder that God will be our strength in all things, which especially includes working for the Lord: "He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

No comments:

Post a Comment